Saturday, November 5, 2011

Ghana trip #2



Eric is home safe and sound. He came home absolutely exhausted after keeping up with two energetic children and taking care of adoption business at the US Embassy. We are missing one piece of paper from our I-600 application so our application will not move along until that comes. Once again, I rely on God's timing in this. Not an easy thing to do for me, but God is smoothing out a lot of my rough edges with this journey.

I have spent the last few days looking at pictures of his adventures and watching videos. He was so thoughtful to take all the video for me as he knew I would enjoy them. He also braved the markets, with two children and his new friend/taxi driver as his guide. The high pressure sales can be intimidating at times, but he got some great deals!!!

Highlights of this wonderful trip included:

Our children saw the Atlantic Ocean for the first time



He witnessed how our daughter's English has improved since our last trip. She has the cutest accent as she would loudly declare "Good Morning" as she woke up.


We learned more about our children's past and their circumstances that lead them to the orphanage and international adoption. Not only am I absolutely convinced that adoption was the only choice for them, we can also prepare specifically how to help them process these past hurts. I have read and heard so much about ethical adoptions as some countries struggle with their international adoption programs. Some agencies even now limit the contact you have with birth family. Personally, these meetings have been the reassurance that we need to proceed with our adoption and we can tell our children that the option of staying in Ghana, staying with family just was not possible.





These children are so resilient so sweet despite all that they have been through. I will share more about Eric's trip soon as it had left him changed forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment